Victim's Rights

Daniel P. Rubinstein, District Attorney

  • 21st Judicial District
  • P.O. Box 20,000
  • Grand Junction, CO 81502-5031
  • (970) 244-1730

As a victim of violent crime, you have the constitutional right to be informed of certain information and court dates. These court hearings are listed below.

Please click on the titles to view additional information


  • Filing Charges
  • Detention Hearing
  • Advisement Hearing
  • Bond Reduction
  • Preliminary Hearing
  • Disposition/Plea Hearing
  • Arraignment
  • Motions Hearing
  • Jury Trial/Court Trial
  • Sentencing
  • Modifications
  • Revocation

(Some of the above events may not occur in all cases.)



  • Murder, Manslaughter, Homicide
  • Vehicular Assault, Vehicular Homicide
  • Assault
  • Sexual Assault on an Adult or Child
  • Incest
  • Sexual Exploitation of Children
  • Menacing
  • Kidnaping
  • Robbery
  • Child Abuse
  • Crimes Against At Risk Adults
  • Crimes Involving Domestic Violence
  • Harassment by Stalking
  • Ethnic Intimidation
  • Careless Driving that results in the death of another person
  • Failure to stop at the scene of an accident that results in the death of another person
  • Retaliation against a witness or victim
  • Tampering with a witness or victim
  • Accessory to any of these crimes


The Victim/Witness Assistance program can answer questions you may have or talk with you about your case. Please call: (970) 244-1730

It is your responsibility to keep the DA's Office informed of your current address and phone number(s) at all times.

Please click on the titles to view additional information


    • to be treated with fairness, respect and dignity, to have a swift and fair resolution of your case and to be free from intimidation, harassment or abuse throughout the criminal justice process.
    • to be informed of and present for all critical stages of the criminal justice process.
    • to be present and heard in court regarding any bond reduction, continuances, acceptance of plea negotiations, case disposition or sentencing.
    • to have a safe place to wait before court.
    • to talk with the Deputy District Attorney before the case is resolved or goes to trial and to be informed of how it is resolved.
    • to prepare a Victim Impact Statement and to be present and to be heard at sentencing.
    • to be informed of the status of your case and any scheduling changes or cancellations if known in advance.
    • to have restitution ordered.
    • to pursue a civil judgment against anyone who has committed a crime against you.
    • to be informed of post conviction release or modification hearings.
    • to get your property back quickly when it is no longer needed for prosecution.
    • to be informed of the availability of financial assistance and community services.
    • to be given appropriate employer intercession services regarding court appearances and meetings with criminal justice officials.
    • to be assured that in any criminal proceeding, the court, the prosecutor and other law enforcement officials will take appropriate action to achieve a swift and fair resolution of the proceedings.

If the defendant in your case is sentenced to the Department of Corrections, you have the right to get information regarding the defendant's incarceration if you request it in writing.

The DA's Office has a Request Form you may fill out. We will mail one to you after the defendant is sentenced to the Department of Corrections. Call the Victim/Witness Office: (970) 244-l730

It is your responsibility to keep DOC informed of your current address and phone number(s) at all times.

For a complete listing of your rights, please refer to Colorado Revised Statutes (24-4.1-101 through 24-4.1-304).


What to do if you feel your rights have not been provided:

Colorado state law provides that affected persons may enforce compliance with the provisions of the Constitutional Amendment by notifying the Governor's Victims' Compensation and Assistance Coordinating Committee.

You must first attempt to seek compliance at the local level. This may include, but not be limited to:

    • Contacting the person you feel has not provided you with your rights, explaining specifically what has not been done.
    • Contacting the Elected Official or Head of the Agency you feel is not providing your rights and seeking their assistance in receiving your rights. Contact may be verbal or in writing. Accurate records of your efforts to seek compliance at the local level will be helpful to you and to the committee, should a formal request be filed.
    • Seeking assistance from Victim Advocates with whom you have been in contact, or other supportive persons such as your therapist.

If all local efforts to obtain your rights have failed, you may request Assistance from the Governor's Victims' Coordinating Committee by contacting the Division of Criminal Justice, Office for Victims' Programs at the address and phone number below.

State of Colorado

    • Department of Public Safety
    • Division of Criminal Justice
    • Office for Victims' Programs
    • 700 Kipling St., Suite 1000
    • Denver, CO 80215
    • Fax (303) 239-4491
    • Phone (303) 239-4442