Frequently Asked Questions

Please click on the titles to view additional information

Generally this is not possible due to the high volume of cases heard daily. Also, in preparation for the first court appearance the courts will have prepared a file for each case. Therefore, it is necessary to wait for the date written on the ticket before speaking to a deputy DA.

If the only charge on the ticket is no proof of insurance and you had a valid insurance policy at the time of the incident, you may show this proof beforehand to the Clerk of the Courts, and the charge may be dismissed, with the court date being vacated.

Delinquency cases are handled differently - please refer to the section titled "Juvenile Programs" for information on delinquency cases.

Standard Restraining Order

    • A standard restraining order restrains the defendant from doing something.
    • The most common restraining order in a criminal case is an order which restrains the defendant from "harassing, molesting, intimidating, retaliating against, or tampering with any witness or victim of the acts charged in the criminal case."
    • The order remains in effect until rescinded by the court or until disposition is reached in the case. Restraining orders of this nature are automatically entered in each criminal case.
    • "No contact" orders may be entered in addition to this more common restraining order.

Restraining Order ( when there is no criminal case)

If no criminal case exists and you would like to obtain a restraining order it is entirely a civil process. You may contact private counsel, the courts, or, if you qualify, the Mesa County Pro Bono Project. See agency directory.

If you wish to have the representation of the Public Defenders office you will need to complete an application to determine if you qualify. Details of the application process can be found here-

Office of Colorado State Public Defender - Applying for a Public Defender

You may also contact the Grand Junction Office at –

Public Defenders
114 N. Spruce St., Suite 300
Grand Junction CO 81501

Phone: (970) 245-9122

Fax: (970) 245-1170



For felony cases a public defender may be requested at the first court appearance. A private attorney may also be employed.

It is possible for a defendant to represent himself or herself throughout the court process. The District Attorney's office will give anyone representing himself or herself equal consideration for a plea agreement.

*Juvenile delinquency misdemeanors not included - see "Juvenile Programs" for more information.

Records at the District Attorney's Office are not generally public records. Certain persons who are parties to the criminal action are provided reports as part of the "discovery" process.

Victims can be provided certain types of reports and information upon request. If you are the victim of a "felony" crime and need more information see the section Victim/Witness Programs, or call the District Attorney's Office main number (below) and ask for the Victim/Witness office. If you are the victim of a misdemeanor crime, please contact the main number of the District Attorney's Office at (970) 244-1730 for more information.

Please call 911 in an emergency. They can dispatch the proper law enforcement agency to respond to your call. In non-emergency instances you may contact the law enforcement agency that has jurisdiction over the place where the alleged crime occurred. The reference chart below can assist you in determining who to call.

If it Occurred In Then Contact  
City of Grand Junction  Grand Junction Police Department (970) 244-3555
Mesa County (but not in the City limits of Grand Junction or another City or Town) Mesa County Sheriff's Office (970) 244-3500
City of Fruita Fruita Police Department (970) 858-3008
City of Palisade Palisade Police Department (970) 464-5601
Confines of the Mesa State campus Grand Junction Police Department  (970) 244-3555

You have information or witnessed something that has bearing on the case. One of the ways in which to convince a jury or a judge of proof beyond a reasonable doubt is to have live witness testimony in court. Frequently court hearings are continued or witnesses testimony is not needed at the last minute. Check with the District Attorney's Office before leaving your home or workplace to appear for a hearing. Only the Deputy District Attorney who sent you the subpoena will know exactly "why" he/she felt it necessary to have you testify in the case.

If you received your subpoena through the U.S. mail, please read the letter you received with your subpoena, tear off the postcard, sign it, and return that postcard through the U.S. mail to the District Attorney's Office. Please keep the remaining portion of the subpoena for your records.

If you received the subpoena from a Sheriff's Deputy or a private process server you do not need to sign anything or return anything. The deputy or the server will notify the court that you have been served.

Once you are served by mail or in person you must appear in court on the date, time and place specified on the subpoena. Failure to do so may result in a warrant for your arrest.

Cases may be re-scheduled or canceled at the last minute for a variety of reasons. To avoid traveling to a hearing which will not take place, please call the canceled hearing hotline number on your letter or subpoena, 255-5092.

If you have a conflict with the scheduled court date, please call the Deputy District Attorney (listed as "prosecutor" on the right-hand side of the subpoena) immediately.

Criminal and Delinquency proceedings require "live" testimony. Depositions are not allowed in criminal cases except under extraordinarily rare circumstances, such as the pending death of the witness.

Depending on how long ago your court date was, you may have a bench warrant for your arrest. Call (970) 257-3640 to check if you have an active Mesa County warrant. To reschedule your court date you or your attorney must submit a request in writing. For details of what is to be included in that document contact your attorney or the clerk's office at (970) 257-3640.

A voluntary statement must be completed and notarized in the DA's Office.

This statement is then entered into the defendant's court file and copies are placed in the DA's file. The statement is evaluated by the DA.

Rarely is a case dismissed even if the victim requests that all charges be dropped. The State is pressing charges against the defendant, not the victim.

I would like to correct an inaccuracy in a police report or add to a police report.

You will need to contact the agency that originally took your report and file a supplemental report with them.

  • A "no-contact" restraining order is a condition of a defendant's bond which may be ordered by the judge. The "no-contact" order is in effect for the entire length of the criminal case or until the victim requests in a sworn statement filled out at the District Attorney's Office that it be removed or "lifted." It is only removed after approval by the judge handling the case. This order may extend to the victim as well as any children who were involved. It is put in place for the victims' protection.

  • A "no-contact" restraining order means that a defendant is not to call, write, have a third party contact, or contact the victim or any other party the judge orders the defendant to have "no contact" with. This order expires once the court case is completed.

  • A "no-contact" restraining order is often ordered by a judge as part of a sentence as well. For further information, call the Victim's Advocate in the District Attorney's office at (970) 244-1730.