Consumer Protection

Thank you for visiting the

21st Judicial District Attorney's Consumer Protection Unit Website

The Consumer Protection Unit operates under the following guidelines:

  1. We will only accept complaints from alleged victims, no anonymous or third-party complaints, please.
  2. Any incident complained of must have occurred in Mesa County, Colorado.
  3. For this unit to most effectively help you, we suggest you try to resolve your problem with the business first. To do this we advise you do some of the following:
    • Call the business and try to work it out; most business owners are willing to try to make it right. Make note of the date and the time you called, to whom you spoke, and what was said or agreed to by you and the business owner.

    • If the business is unwilling to work it out, mail a certified letter, return receipt requested to the business. In your letter explain the problem, what you see as an acceptable solution, and state that you would appreciate a response by a specific date. If you do not receive a response within the time frame or if you receive an unacceptable response, then you are ready to file your complaint with the Consumer Protection Unit.

There are two ways to file a complaint with the Consumer Protection Unit:

  1. Send your written complaint to:
    • Consumer Protection Unit
    • 21st Judicial District, District Attorney's Office
    • P.O. Box 20,000
    • Grand Junction, CO 81502-5031

      Please include copies of all paperwork including any notes that you have made, the letter you sent to the business, and the proof of return receipt from the post office. Download a copy of  Complaint letter and form.

  2. Or, call the Consumer Protection Unit at (970) 244-1730. You may be asked to leave a message with the unit. Please include your name, address, phone number & the name of the business you have a complaint against.

The Consumer Protection Unit is primarily a referral agency. Our main objective is to refer you to an agency suitable to handle your complaint. Most complaints will not result in a formal investigation or the filing of criminal charges. There must be a provable violation of a criminal statute before filing of criminal charges will be considered.

The District Attorney's Office reserves the right to make the final determination regarding what action should be taken regarding complaints.